Grenfell Tower: 79 people now presumed dead in London fire, police confirm
Grenfell Tower death toll rises to 79
Buy One, Get One Free on Ocean Cruises.
Book online to save up to 50% on 2018 ocean cruises
19 June 2017 • 3:44pm
he number of people dead and missing presumed dead after the Grenfell Tower disaster has risen to 79, police have revealed.
Five of those people have so far been formally identified, said Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy.
He told reporters the “awful reality” was that it might not be possible to identify all the victims. Some families have lost more than one member, he added.
The announcement was followed by a minute’s silence at 11am across all Government buildings to remember the people who lost their lives and all those affected by the fire in north Kensington last week.
His latest statement comes after police released new images from inside the burnt-out building.
Mr Cundy said the death toll may still change, but not as significantly as it has in recent days.
He fought back tears as he told reporters about the scene inside the 24-storey tower in north Kensington.
Footage from inside the gutted building has been released, showing the extent of the damage caused by the blaze.
Firefighters lead minute’s silence for Grenfell Tower victims
He said it had been “incredibly emotional working in there”, adding: “On Saturday I went in myself and went to the top floor.
“And it is incredibly hard to describe the devastation in some parts of that building.”
Five people who had been reported missing after the disaster have been found safe and well, he added.
Video footage inside the flats showed the charred remains of a kitchen Credit: PA / Metropolitan Police
The pictures show the damage inside the building Credit: Metropolitan Police
Releasing a tranche of footage showing the aftermath of the blaze, Mr Cundy said: “Police teams continue their support to families, and make enquiries to cross check the number of those missing.”
The news came as the Government announced those left homeless by the fire will be given at least £5,500 from an emergency fund.
Residents will be given £500 in cash followed by a bank payment for the rest from Monday and will come from the £5 million fund announced by Theresa May on Friday.
The pictures were captured by a specialist police recovery team Credit: Metropolitan Police
The pictures show the extent of the fire Credit: Metropolitan Police
The Prime Minister insisted the Government was doing everything possible to help those caught up in the tragedy.
Residents who met Mrs May in Downing Street over the weekend said while they welcomed the funding they had not been consulted before the announcement was made.
They said: “We naturally welcome funds for those in need, though this does show once more the tendency to sideline residents’ views.
Police have released new pictures from inside the tower Credit: Metropolitan Police
“At No 10 yesterday, the Prime Minister assured the group that from now on residents would be consulted on a coordinated relief effort. This has not happened with these funds.”
The move came as the official response to the crisis drew fresh condemnation from residents and London Mayor Sadiq Khan.